Friday, May 14, 2010

Favorite Friday



This Friday's "Favorite Fridays" Topic is:

Favorite R&B Singer: Mariah Carey

ok wait! I know what you all are thinking: "She is not as good as she use to be. She dresses so trashy." Here me out, #1 She is an amazing singer. She still holds many records for her songs.
#2 My personal reason is my connection to her song One Sweet day
**Please note this may be sad

In October 1996 when I was just 11 years old, my dad died. He had a heart attack and shocked us all. On the way to his funeral my mom said, pick a song that you can remember him by. At the time One Sweet day had just came out. The lyrics in the song were perfect.
Later the next year it was the biggest selling #1 song and held the record for #1.

Anyway, we cremated my dad and threw his ashes in the bay. In October in Rhode Island it tends to be cool. Well a butterfly flew around my head and then flew away. The same thing happened on my dad's one year anniversary.

Also at my wedding :)

Mariah Carey's album after Fantasy which had One Sweet Day on it was entitled Butterfly. Her music has helped me through so much. To me I will always like her as an artist and still hope to meet her someday to share my story!

Lyrics:
Sorry, I never told you, all I wanted to say.
Now it's too late to hold you. '
Cause you've flown away, so far away.

Never, Had I imagined, yeah, living without your smile.
Feelin' and knowing you hear me.
It keeps me alive. Alive!

And I know you're shining down on me from Heaven,
Like so many friends we've lost along the way,
And I know eventually we'll be together.
One sweet day.

Picture a little scene from Heaven.

Darling, I never showed you.
Assumed you'd always be there.
I took your presence for granted.
But I always cared
And I miss the love we shared.

And I know you're shining down on me from Heaven.
Like so many friends we've lost along the way.
And I know eventually we'll be together.
One sweet day.

Picture a little scene from Heaven.

Although, the sun will never shine the same, I'll
always look to a brighter day.

Yeah, Lord, I know, when I lay me down to sleep,
You'll always listen, as I pray!

And I know you're shining down on me from Heaven,
Like so many friends we've lost along the way,
And I know eventually we'll be together.
One sweet day.

And I know you're shining down on me from Heaven,
Like so many friends we've lost along the way,
And I know eventually we'll be together.
One sweet day.

Sorry, I Never told you, all I wanted to say

4 comments:

  1. That song is just perfect on so many levels for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O wow. That is a sad story but very sweet. Your dad is always watching out for you... That butterfly is a sign...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The girl might be a little off, but who wouldn't be with that much talent, especially when she came from nothing!

    That story and your connection to her is amazing and definitely something nice to have and to hold on to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. This is a great story though. Music is powerful - I love how you can relate this to your father and also how the butterfly circled around you and her next album was titled Butterfly. So many coincidences!!

    ReplyDelete